How to Sleep Better
Sleep is an essential physiological process that allows the body to recover and to grow and to maintain optimal health. Without sleep, or when one suffers from sleep deprivation there are many physiological changes, negative physiological changes which occur in the body such as a lack of concentration, memory loss, irritability and even a decrease in the reaction time of the brain.
How You Can Sleep Better
Follow these tips and techniques to increase your sleeping time and the quality of your sleep and become a well rested individual.
- Remove distractions from the room while trying to fall asleep. This includes televisions, music and radios as well as computers. Even excess lighting should be removed from the room to ensure that you are able to have the best sleep possible and the time that it takes to fall asleep is decreased.
- Reduce the stimulation in the hours which proceed the time in which you are going to bed. This can include reducing stress and creating a routine that can relax and soothe the individual, rather than creating tension and stress which can lead to the inability to fall asleep at night.
- Remove all lights from the bedroom. Lights can be distracting while trying to fall asleep. Consider the use of dark curtains and blinds to reduce the light or remove lights, including nightlights and alarm clocks from the bedroom space. These small changes can increase the capability of the individual to fall asleep.
- Remove caffeine from the diet after a certain period in the day. Cutting out caffeine after three or four in the afternoon should be enough time to be able to get the sleep that you require each night, but experiment, as the time that caffeine takes to absorb within the body and the effects on the body are different for every person.
- Reduce your alcohol intake. This can help to reduce the symptoms which are associated with insomnia.
- Exercise, but donít exercise too close to the time that you wish to go to sleep. Experts recommend exercise between three in the afternoon and six in the evening. Exercise should not be completed after six in the evening as it can increase the heart rate and lead to insomnia or the inability to fall asleep.
- Create a haven within the bedroom that can lead to relaxation. Use the bed only for sleeping and reduce other activities within the room such as watching television, reading or spending time in the bedroom as other parts in the home.
- Reduce the temperature of the bedroom and use blankets to increase the temperature of the body. This is a great way to remain comfortable. When the body temperature is lower it can be easier to sleep through the night.
- Take a warm bath before bedtime to ensure that you can become relaxed. With the use of essential oils such as lavender can help to relax the nervous system and encourage sleep.
- Reduce the noise that the bedroom and the individual noises that the individual is exposed to throughout the night. This can be done through the use of a white noise machine or through the use of relaxation music to reduce stress and increase sleeping patterns.
- Avoid medications that can come with side effects that can affect the sleeping patterns. A simple visit to the doctor can yield alternatives to medications which are taken for the same reasons but can come without the harmful side effects to sleeping patterns. Many patients arenít aware of the repercussions to the sleeping patterns from various medications therefore becoming aware is the first step to reducing the effects on the sleeping cycle.
- Stop drinking water and other fluids before bed, for at least two hours. This can reduce the amount of times that the individual awakes through the night to go to the washroom and can allow for a better quality sleep through the night.
- Stop working and thinking about stressful situations at least one hour before the individual goes to bed for the evening. This can help to reduce stress related insomnia, which is the most common type of insomnia that people suffer from through various sleep disorders.
Taking these techniques into consideration is an effective way to reduce any bad habits which are contributing to losing sleep through the night, or suffering from poor quality sleep. As well, these techniques can reduce the symptoms which are associated with various sleeping disorders that can enable the individual to obtain a better nightís sleep.