Jet Lag Remedies
Many people are unaware that jet lag does not occur for individuals flying from north to south, or from south to north. In most cases, the passenger must travel through three time zones in order to experience the effects of jet lag on the body.
To treat jet lag it is necessary to reset the internal clock within the body to help the body to adjust to the new time zone as well as the schedule.
What are Symptoms of Jet Lag?
Jet lag comes with a variety of symptoms that may be experienced by the traveler. Although the symptoms differ between people, there are common symptoms which are experienced by most travelers, these include:
- Difficulty concentrating.
- Tiredness that may occur through the waking hours.
- Insomnia through the night-time hours.
- Waking frequently through the night.
- Irritability or crankiness that can become worse for longer flights and additional time zones that have been crossed.
- Nausea and upset stomach as well as loss of appetite.
What are some common jet lag remedies?
There are many remedies that are used to treat Jet lag, that come with few side effects – some of these common jet lag remedies include:
- Melatonin supplements are an effective way to deal with jet lag. These supplements can be taken in the amount of three to five milligrams of the supplement which can help to reduce jetlag when taken the night before the trip. This can help to regulate the body and sleeping pattern, which can be an effective way to enable the individual to fly without experiencing these detrimental symptoms which can affect the vacation, the business and even the experience of venturing to a new location. Melatonin is one of the most effective ingredients that can be used to regulate the circadian rhythm, or the internal body clock that allows for the sleeping and waking patterns.
- Start the night before or the day before travelling to allow for the adjustment of the schedule of the new destination, including the sleeping and waking pattern. This can help to reduce the effects of the jetlag while travelling, especially eastbound.
- There are many supplements which have been designed to fight jet lag and are created with all natural ingredients. These supplements are available at health food stores and can be effective when taken days before the trip, as well as during the flight and after the traveler have arrived at the destination. This can reduce jet lag effectively with very few side effects of the supplement.
- Valerian can be used to regulate the sleeping patterns and is a natural herb which can be used without any side effects and is not addictive. It can help the individual to sleep without causing any adverse side effects.